Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Fasting

Well, I've made a decision to fast. There are many in the world who choose to fast for various reasons. Christians usually fast for spiritual reasons while non-Christians fast for health benefits. My fasting is both a spiritual one and secular one. I'm not fasting from food, but from television! Not completely, but I'm allowing myself two hours of television a day. This will be a hard one. Since I haven't been doing much this summer, t.v has become my companion. It's on when I'm the room, it's on when i'm not in the room. Sometimes, I put it on mute when I'm doing work. I won't cut it off, but put it on mute! Does my work really get done. Absolutely not because I'm looking at the t.v. every five minutes. I've been reading blogs on personal and professional development and I've read topics from financial freedom to becoming an early riser. By the way, I have no determination when it comes to being an early riser and I've got to get in gear before work and school start. The latest one was giving up television (or hours of it).

Why is this needed you might ask? Well, I've pictured my future many times. I feel God's shown it to me. It's there just waiting. Every great opportunity, every new idea, every vacation to the beach, even a beach house! But I know those things will never come in my present state. Simply, the woman I see in my future looks nothing like the woman I am right now. The woman I see is financially free and I'm not. So I'm getting control of my finances. The woman I see has many roles that require energy, time, and organization. I used to have that and when I did, I was up before 7am and I was eating better and taking care of myself. Through the personal/professional development blogs and articles, I keep reading about CEO's and president's and entrprenuers linking their success to the time they rise each morning. Conclusion- rising earlier means you have more time in your day. You might actually get done with work early and enjoy your family! Who knew?!

Well, part of my failure in not being an early riser is that I've been conusmed by the television. Absolute, pure, crap could be on the television and I'll still watch it. This means that instead of winding down by 10 so I can at least be in bed by 11pm, I'll watch t.v. until 12am, which is when King of the Hill comes on. Then I'll watch that until 12:30am and I'll be wired until 2am. By that time, I cut my alarm off because I know I won't wake up at 5:45, or 6am! You see the problem? So, I'm fasting from t.v. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Good luck! I know you can do it. I bet that once you get in the habit, you'll actually not miss it at all! You'll feel more free and less stressed. I liken it to not wearing a watch. At first it's really tough to not know what time it is and then you learn to live without one. Same with tv. Maybe you should limit your two hours to daytime tv since the evening seems a bit more tempting. Anyway- You can do it!! :)