Friday, January 12, 2007

New View

So this year is obviously a changing year for me. Not in the sense that I'm changing spiritually, physically, emotionally (yet those things are always happening), but as a teacher my philosophy is changing once again. Three years ago I began this journey into teaching not knowing what it would bring, who I would meet, or how my students would affect me. I am beginning to understand what people mean when they say "Teaching is an art." It truly is. Whether you're teaching elementary, middle school, high school or college, teaching is an art that needs constant revisiting. What's the point in wanting students to learn if teachers aren't willing to readjust their strategies? Why get mad when you lecture for an hour and your students don't remember a thing you've said? Would you listen to yourself lecturing for an hour? When your boss has a staff meeting, how long do you listen before you zone out?

I am constantly speaking to or overhearing faculty who complain about students failing or not doing well on tests, or simply not paying attention. The inner chicken in me is scared to ask them the simple question of "What are you doing in class?" Why would this be a problem? Because many feel that it is the students duty to learn the material and their job to lecture the material. I, sad to say, was one of those people. When I started, I didn't have a teaching style so I copied others. This meant, lecture, ask if anyone has any questions, then let the class go. So what if it's a couple of minutes early? It's the students job to pass my hard tests. They either know it or they don't. I have soon learned that this is not always the case. To any teachers reading this or future teachers, I have some advice for you: You are not an easy or weak teacher if you change your teaching style to suit your students. Changing a style of teaching does not mean your students will get easy A's. It means they'll learn better. Everyone has a different learning technique, but you can contribute by recognizing these learning styles and adjusting your teaching strategy to suit them. The goal is to make sure your students learn and I'm glad that early in my career I have recognized this.

Here's to another road trip!

No comments: