So I’m in the middle of my book now and I must say, it’s getting good. But, fear is starting to creep in. What if I suffer from writer’s block? I’ve always read and even convinced my students that writer’s block doesn’t exist, but that is so not true! There are moments when my thoughts just run on the screen and it seems as if my hands can’t catch up to them. Then there are times when I stare at the computer wondering whether or not I really have a book in me. This is one of those nights. I have the entire thing outlined and all I have to do is follow what I outlined. But it’s still hard. This is creative work, not some formula for an academic essay. These characters are in my head, I just can’t see what they’re doing at this moment. Do I take a break? For how long? When will I know I’m ready to come back to the writing board? And for goodness sake am I the only writer who feels this way?
Wait. I can answer that question. No Sydney, you’re not the only writer who feels that way. In fact, many writers over the world get caught in the same place you’re in right now and you’ll get out of it in no time…blah blah blah blah blah. LOL! Now that was funny. Really, I need to relieve some stress. I’ve been putting way too much pressure on myself to get a certain number of chapters done by a certain month and I’m feeling the pain. But I still enjoy it. And maybe that’s the point…we need to enjoy what we do even when it doesn’t feel great at the moment. That’s my lesson for tonight. Here’s to another road trip.
Friday, July 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's exciting that you are writing a book! What's it about?
Post a Comment