Thursday, July 27, 2006

Just a Coincidence

I woke up today thinking it would be just another day. I had nothing planned really, I wasn’t gonna do anything, and I wasn’t sure if I should just stay in bed. Then I realized I had errands to run. So I picked up dog food, papers from work, cleaned the house, went to the gym, watched the stories (my guilty pleasure), and read. Then I remembered I had a book reading event to go to tonight. So there I was lying on my bed wondering if I should go. “I don’t feel like going really,” I thought to myself. But then I thought that I should go because I haven’t been anywhere by myself in a while. So I went.

It was wonderful! Can I just say that you never know when God’s gonna throw someone or something your way. First off, the food and wine was amazing! I bought a bottle of red wine, got a free hand massage, and gobbled up veggies, fruits, and cake…cake, cake, cake, and more cake! Cheesecake, chocolate cake, strawberry cake, vanilla cake. All kinds of cake. Okay, now that had nothing to do with God (I don’t think), but the next part did. I listened to women stand up and read excerpts from their books. Now if you’ve been keeping up, then you’ll remember that I’ve been working on my book for a while now and I’ll admit, I got lazy about it. But these women rejuvenated my spirit. As I watched them read their stories with such zeal and character, I saw my future self on stage reading my work. Then a voice said to me, “Sydney, it won’t happen if you quit. Get back to writing.” Wow! That’s exactly what I needed to get back on track. You know sometimes we don’t need life to smack us in the face in order to realize something. Sometimes we just need a kiss on the cheek.

But then something else happened. I met someone who had great insight on life and shared it with me. I have no idea why we met or what’s to come of it, but I believe with all my heart that God had a plan for us to meet today and speak to one another. She had something to say, I needed to hear something and vice versa. This was definitely a night to remember. Not because I had such a great time, heard some great stories, and met some great people, but because I know for sure that God had a hand in it. And when you know that, especially while it’s happening, you remember to soak it all in. Here's to my roadtrip.

No comments: