Thursday, July 28, 2005
The Case of the Pack Rat
So I’m moving and it’s more stressful than I thought. Why didn't anyone tell me that moving could be so intense?! I mean it’s not like I’ve never moved before, it’s just that I was always with my parents so they had the movers do everything. But no, not this time. This time, it’s just me. Two years in my apartment and I’ve collected the world! I never realized how sentimental I was until I tried to pack everything up. And you know what? All of those items that were supposed to be “special” to me are now in the trash! Why? Because I CAN’T REMEMBER WHY I KEPT THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE! For instance, I saved a movie stub. Now, I know it’s from a date, but the question is, “Who was I on the date with?” I don’t know! And if I can’t remember, then it obviously wasn’t that great. It sounds harsh I know. I’ve also kept every candle I ever bought, which brings me to around 25 candles. Who in the world burns 25 candles at the same time? Not me! And they’re all different scents. Does anyone have any idea what French Vanilla, Cranberry, Buttercream, Tropical Fruit, and Clean Breeze smell like at once? Nasty! It smells nasty. And that's only five scents. There’s 20 more to go! So I threw a lot of my candles away. But that’s not even the craziest part of this whole moving journey. My roommate moved out about 2 weeks ago and she furnished most of the apartment. So I only have to pack my bedroom and what’s left of the kitchen, including the living room t.v. Not a lot right? So why have I thrown out approximately 18 bags of trash? Is it possible that I've become a pack rat? Am I justifying saving every single thing that enters my world? Even though I’m throwing things away, it’s not because I don’t like them. It’s just that all of this stuff won’t fit in my car and moving things in 99 degree weather is unbearable! But obviously, the illness known around the world as “the pack rat” has entered my body and I have to get rid of it. I refuse to let my house become a place where insignificant items come to rest-FOREVER! I am letting the world know right now that I will not collect paper after paper, magazine after magazine, movie stub after movie stub, and candle after candle until my house explodes! I will have space, lots of space and no more than 5 candles in my home. Well, no more than 10 candles and the scents will flow! I hope it's that easy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment