If you don't know, I am finished teaching until next fall and I must say that I am drained. I've always heard that teaching was an incredibly hard job and I agree. But, after only three years of doing it, I can honestly say that I finally get it! It's hard, demanding, gut wrenching, time consuming, and enjoyable all at once. The first line should already tell fellow teachers what I am going through right now. For those who do not know, let me explain. School is over, which means I have entered final grades and exited my office. To many this is a time to celebrate. To others, this only means one thing: My email will be filled for the next week with emails from students wanting me to explain to them how they got the grade they did.
Need an example? Here's one: First, picture your message screen popping up with no name, no salutation, nothing addressing you personally. Just this: I don't know how I got a ___ in your class and we need to meet so I can get an explanation. Need another example? How about: You never explained _________ and since I did not understand, it should not be counted.
Yeah! I know! How is it that people don't realize that the last person who should be insulted is the teacher?! And how is it that people think they can receive a B in the class when past tests have included 60, 77, 80, 50, and 41 (these are examples)? So right now I am part happy, and part frustrated. But you know what? I just keep reminding myself that my summer has started and MY adventure can begin. School's out for summer! Here's to another road trip.
Friday, May 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment