Saturday, March 11, 2006

The Society of Criticizing Mothers

What is it that makes mothers criticize their daughters, but not see it as criticism? Do they just wake up one day and decide that that will be the day they knit-pick at every decision the daughter makes? “Are you gonna wear that?” “He’s not the right one for you dear.” “Well, I’m not trying to make you feel guilty, but…” Maybe it’s another rite of passage women find out about as they age. I can hear the mothers right now sitting around their witches’ brew plotting out the critical remarks they’re going to make to their daughters in the future. I think the guidelines read: If your daughter shows signs of early crows feet and hair loss due to her frustration, you’re on target!

When I make a decision (or am about to make one), I usually end up running my ideas past my mom because when she finds out what I’m doing, I'll get a speech where everything I need to know will be outlined for me. The question I then have to ask myself is: Am I getting this information because I need it, or because she wants me to remember that she's still the mother and I will forever be the child? Daughters, you will be able to tell which way you're mom's leaning by her tone. If it sounds sarcastic, or if the information is so logical that a 1 day old baby would know it, you will then have your answer.

I often wonder if I'll be that way when I have children? Even now I can hear the Society of Criticizing Mothers calling me to the dark side...

No comments: