Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I Never Thought It would Happen

Oh my gosh! I can’t believe it’s happened to me! Me, of all people. Wait…I think I need to tell you about my past before I hit you with this. Throughout my life, I’ve had pets. First there was Bo-Bo. Now, I’ve never actually met Bo-Bo because he was a part of the family before I was born, but I’ve heard so much about this dog that I feel like he was a part of my life. Bo-Bo was this ginger colored cocker spaniel who my parents refer to as their first child. When my sister was born, Bo-Bo practically babysat her! That’s how much he was loved! And from the time I was born, I have always heard stories about the magnificent Bo-Bo. Then there was Claire. Claire was this frisky mutt who tore up the house. My sister and I couldn’t handle her, so my parents had to give her away. Next came Frenchy, my very first cat. I quickly realized how much my mother loved me because she HATES cats! They’re too wild, too playful, too independent, and too unpredictable. You never know what they’ll do next. And my mother allowed me to have one anyway (thanks mom). Unfortunately, after a series of Frenchy hiding under the bed and scratching my mom’s ankles whenever she passed, my parents decided that THE CAT HAD TO GO! Bye Bye Frenchy. Then came Wendy (our second try at a cat who later got ran over by our neighbor). After this, my family stuck to dogs and a bird. And I had the best! Mitch (my German Shepard) and Peagan (my parakeet) were the best pets ever and I miss them all the time. Oh, I must mention that we have a new addition to the family. Welcome cocker spaniel (again) Zoey (he's one)!

So after a lifetime of pets, I figured that I was simply not a cat person…until I met Chloe. Chloe is my roommates’ cat that is kind of like my niece. Well, my roommate’s moving in with her boyfriend and Chloe cannot stand him (I won’t even get into that one). A few weeks ago my roommate told me that she was looking for a home for Chloe, and that’s when I felt it. This hot sting rose up in me at the thought of someone else taking funny, mischievous, crazy Chloe. So now I’m thinking of taking her. Somehow, the universe has flipped upside down because I'm falling for cats! At first I had no idea how to even pet cats and now I’m feeling torn. Everyone I’ve met either likes cats or dogs, but not both! Honestly, is it possible to be a cat and dog person?

No comments: